In-Portal rebuilds category cache after a change has been made to a category.
Right now cache rebuild is always made. Following rules apply after category has been changed:
- if user has less then 30 categories, then cache rebuild is made automatically using progress bar
- if user has 30 and more categories, then user is asked if he wishes to perform cache rebuild right now using progress bar and he can deny rebuild
- if "quick category cache rebuild" setting is enabled, then category cache is rebuild in background without asking a user or showing a rebuild progress bar
On one of my projects I saw a customization, when new setting was added "Automatically Rebuild Category Cache" was added and it was disabled. This was done, because there were 3000 categories and they were changed very often, so answering No all the time to "rebuild category cache now" question became very annoying.
I'm proposing to create new configuration setting "Category Cache Rebuild Mode", that will replace "quick category cache rebuild" option with following options:
- Manual - user need to click on rebuild button in catalog (will use progress bar)
- Silent - cache will be rebuild in background (no progress bar)
- Automatic - ask/don't ask user (based on category count) and rebuild (if he agrees) with progress bar
Default setting will be set to Automatic for backwards compatibility.