Child pages
  • [deployment] Incorporate "upgrades.sql" into "project_upgrades.sql" [5.2.1-RC1]
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Right now there are 2 systems (in each module) ensuring that most recent SQL schema is used by the database:

• upgrades.sql and upgrades.php files, that define release versions of each module and what SQL/PHP code needs to be executed during upgrade
  • project_upgrades.sql file, that have sequential (starting from 1) revisions, where each can contain set of SQLs that needs to be executed

The project_upgrades.sql file was defined to allow easy incremental updates without a need to run full module upgrade process. This works pretty good when project based on In-Portal is developed and it's not actually ever released.

However, when we're developing In-Portal itself the SQLs are added to the upgrades.sql and there is no way of tracking to which internal revision it belongs. Because of this after updating In-Portal installation developer either needs to do full re-install of In-Portal or figure out which SQLs needs to be executed and execute them. Same goes for PHP code, that needs to be executed during upgrade.

I propose, that we:

1. merge project_upgrades.sql file into upgrades.sql file (then it will have both incremental revisions and release tags)
  2. allow PHP code to be executed along with each revision in 3 modes (like it does for release versions): before SQL, after SQL, after language pack
  3. make Deploy button in charge for whole upgrade process (won't be needed to go to Admin Console and select which modules to upgrade and which not)
  4. the module upgrade from installation wizard will basically hit Deploy button internally

Here is the final format for the upgrades.sql:

# ===== v 4.0.1 =====
# r1: INP-1254 - Module language isn't used during upgrade
UPDATE Language SET IsPrimary = 1;
UPDATE CustomField SET ItemType = 'text';

# r2: INP-1124 - Something else

# ===== v 4.0.2 =====

This way each version will consist of set of revisions. Tricky moment is what should we display as module version in module list however. We can display latest version, but that won't expose information about fact, that some of sub-revisions in that version are not yet executed.