Have have came across major improvement and at the same time feature that will benefit all users.
We need to refactor how we currently store and use Countries and States so it's:
- All data (countries/states/cities) and their translations are stored in it's own table - independent from current Phrases table (quite big) in order to escape table JOINs.
- Add functionality to include States/Provinces and Cities for all Countries world wide - not only US and Canada as we have now.
- New Sections to Manage all of it (Countries/States/Cities), including relations and translations.
- Connect all 3 fields (country, state, city) to ALL forms that are using these now + add auto-complete drop-down for the City field for selected Country/State combination.
- Create the ability to import States and Cities data for selected Countries right in the In-Portal Admin via web-service running on In-Portal.com. This is quite critical since initially we'll be shipping only US and Canada States and Cities. While complete database is about 3 million records.
Let me know if I am missing anything here!
By the way, we are already in the process of working on In-Portal 5.1.0 which will include lots of good stuff.
You can checkout the list blow. While it's not final, I think it's most of it, though http://tracker.in-portal.org/search.php?project_id=1&sticky_issues=on&target_version=5.1.0&sortby=last_updated&dir=DESC&hide_status_id=90.